Determination of problems or injuries due to nutritional causes
Guidelines for sample submission and analytical testing
The sample submission must be accompanied by a printed cover letter.
- At a minimum, the cover letter must include the following:
- sender’s name and address
- sender’s telephone number or email (in case of questions)
- billing address (if different from the sender’s address)
- case history and problem to be investigatedtests to be performed
Mailing address for sample submission:
Institut für Tierernährung
We need sufficient material for analysis! Therefore, please send us at least the quantities listed below for different sample materials:
- hay or straw: a large shopping bag or small garbage bag
- grain, pellets or muesli: 1 kg
- liquid samples: 1 liter
- dog or cat food: 500 g, or at least 2 cans or 2 small bowlfuls
Please take care to package your sample material in such a way that it arrives at our facility in an undamaged condition. For analyses of mould fungus, the sample material packaging must be air‑permeable (i.e., paper bag or cardboard box).
Inquiry: What is in this food? Is this food suitable for my animal?
Crude nutrient analysis
- chemical determination of the following nutrients: water, protein, fat, fibre, ash (minerals)
- information about the composition of a feedstuff: its nutritional adequacy and whether it meets the legal minimums
- a basis for calculating rations
If necessary, the following analyses may also be performed: minerals and trace elements, caloric value