Long term and large scale sampling of data regarding birds
The project runs from 01 February 2011 - 31 January 2013
Involved are several schools in Austria and one school in Spain. The main aim of the school project is to involve schools in sampling of ornithological data.The pupils will build nest boxes for birds and observe bird activity at these boxes. Pupils together with the teachers should determine e.g. whether a nest box is occupied, which bird species is using it, how many eggs they lay, how many chicks they have, how good they develop and how many of them fledge. This activity should be established at the school over a longer period and the data should help to inform us how birds deal with the changing environment in particular climate change and should most of all make pupils competent to deal with environmental problem.Three main aims:
- Long term and large scale sampling of ornithological data in schools
- Predator-Prey interactions and the effect of climate change: Does global warming effect prey availability for our birds? How important is the synchronisation in phenology of predator and prey and how important is the climate.
- Birds as indicators for environmental pollution: How important is environmental pollution for bird plumage?
University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna, Konrad Lorenz Institute of Ethology
Projektleitung: Dr. Herbert Hoi
Kontakt: E-Mail an Herbert Hoi senden
Dr. Matteo Griggio
- PG/PRG Sacré Coeur Pressbaum, Niederösterreich
- Gymnasium und Wirtschaftskundliches Realgymnasium der Dominikanerinnen, Wien
- Colegio Marcelo Spinola, Linares-Jaén, Spanien
Scientific cooperation partners
Bundesforschungs- und Ausbildungszentrum für Wald, Naturgefahren und Landschaft, Institut für Waldschutz, Wien
Kontakt: James Connell