Founding of the Institute and Development of the Subject, Pathology
First endeavours to found an institute in 1849 by the anatomist, Leopold Graf, who suggested dividing the Zootomic Institute into a chair for comparative anatomy and one for pathological zootomy.
On December 12, 1849, the professor of physics, chemistry and botany, Moritz Friedrich Röll, was charged with the duty of giving lectures in pathological zootomy, advanced pathology and therapy, internal medicine and epidemic diseases.
His successor, Andreas Bruckmüller, became professor of pathological anatomy, basic pathology and forensic veterinary medicine in 1871. In 1879, Richard Korzil was made professor of pathological zootomy, general pathology and therapy, forensic veterinary medicine and, as of 1877, lecturer for meat inspection.
In 1881, Johann Csokor became head of the chair for pathological zootomy, basic pathology and therapy as well as forensic veterinary medicine. He held lectures in meat inspection until 1910 and, in 1906, received a teaching contract for the subject, parasitology.
It was not until 1909 under Rudolf Hartl that the chair for Basic Pathology, Pathological Anatomy and Forensic Veterinary Medicine came into being, which was not to be renamed Institute of Pathology and Forensic Veterinary Medicine until 1975.
Dissection courses were initially held outside on the property on Rabengasse (later Beatrixgasse, and, finally, Linke Bahngasse in the 3rd district of Vienna).
In 1850, the seldom-used equine bath was converted into a dissection room and a chamber for the professor and assistant and was, along with the Anatomical Institute, replaced by a new building in 1874-1875.
A stable for laboratory animals was added in 1902, upon which a museum was additionally built in 1949.
In 1996, the institute was able to move from its historical location in the 3rd district to the new campus at Veterinaerplatz in the 21st district of Vienna.