Institute of Population Genetics
Recent publications, events and team activities.
- Paper out in Genome Biol. by Christodoulaki, Nolte, Lai and Schlötterer: Natural variation in Drosophila shows weak pleiotropic effects.
- Graduate alumna Ana Marija Jakšić, group leader at EPFL in Lausanne, was recently portayed in The Scientist: https://www.the-scientist.com/scientist-to-watch/ana-marija-jak-i-shapes-fruit-fly-brains-6986
- New collaborative paper out in G3 with participation of alumna Anna Maria Langmüller: A homing suppression gene drive with multiplexed gRNAs maintains high drive conversion efficiency and avoids functional resistance alleles.
- Congratulations to Aglaia Szukala (PopGen Vienna / Paun group) on her successful PhD defense: "Parallel and adaptive processes during ecotype formation in Heliosperma pusillum"
- Congratulations to PopGen Vienna alumna Polina Novikova, currently group leader at MPIZ in Cologne, on securing an ERC Starting Grant! Novikova lab: https://www.mpipz.mpg.de/novikova
- Congratulations to Marta Pelizzola (Futschik group) on her successful PhD defense: "Developing and testing statistical methods for experimental evolution".
- New paper out in G3 by Emmanouil Lirakis, Viola Nolte and Christian Schlötterer:
Pool-GWAS on reproductive dormancy in Drosophila simulans suggests a polygenic architecture.
- Congratulations to Florian Schwarz (Kofler group) on his successful PhD defense: "Towards unraveling the dynamics of transposable elements."
- Just out in Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. by Rupert Mazzucco and Christian Schlötterer: Long-term gut microbiome dynamics in Drosophila melanogaster reveal environment-specific associations between bacterial taxa at the family level.
- Accepted in Mol Ecol by Filip Wierzbicki, RobertKofler and Sarah Signor: Evolutionary dynamics of piRNA clusters in Drosophila.
- DK members Elif Bozlak and Lara Radovic and DK faculty member Barbara Wallner won the 1st prize at the VetIdeas Challenge. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Robert Kofler on two FWF grants! ( P34965 “Unravelling the dynamics of transposable elements with long-read sequencing” and P35093 “Does the size of piRNA clusters predict the abundance of transposable element insertions?”)
- Congratulations to Sheng-Kai Hsu (Schlötterer group) on his successful PhD defense: "The role of sex evolution - Sexual conflict and Sexual selection."
- Paper by Wei-Yun Lai and Christian Schlötterer now accepted in Mol. Ecol.: Evolution of phenotypic variance in response to a novel hot environment.
- Early online in Genome Biol Evol by Claire Burny, Viola Nolte, Marlies Dolezal and Christian Schlötterer: Highly parallel genomic selection response in replicated Drosophila melanogaster populations with reduced genetic variation.
- Preprint in bioRxiv by Claire Burny, Viola Nolte, Marlies Dolezal and Christian Schlötterer: Genome-wide selection signatures reveal widespread synergistic effects of culture conditions and temperature stress in Drosophila melanogaster.
- Our winter term webinars resume. Details and registration here: https://www.popgen-vienna.at/news/seminars/
- Congratulations to Anna Maria Langmüller (Schlötterer group) on her PhD zoom defense entitled "The detection of temperature-dependent fitness effects with Evolve and Resequence experiments". We wish Anna all the best for her new adventures as a postdoc at Cornell Univ. (US)
- Preprint by Kofler, Nolte and Schlötterer: The transposition rate has little influence on equilibrium copy numbers of the P-element.
- Preprint by Wierzbicki, Kofler and Signor: Evolutionary dynamics of piRNA clusters in Drosophila.
- PhD students Dagny Runarsdottir and Lara Radovic reach out to young researchers at Children's University to explain how populations evolve.
- Congratulations to alumna Ana Marija Jaksic for having been selected as a runner-up for the prestigious best student paper award for papers published in MBE during 2020 with the paper Neuronal Function and Dopamine Signaling Evolve at High Temperature in Drosophila.
- Early online in Genome Biol Evol by Langmüller, Dolezal and Schlötterer: Fine mapping without phenotyping: Identification of selection targets in secondary Evolve and Resequence experiments.
- Paper just out in Genome Biol by Otte, Nolte, Mallard and Schlötterer: The genetic architecture of temperature adaptation is shaped by population ancestry and not by selection regime.
- Paper recently accepted in Mol Ecol Res by Wierzbicki,* Schwarz*, Cannalonga and Kofler: Novel quality metrics allow identifying and generating high-quality assemblies of piRNA clusters. *shared authorship
- Preprint online, co-authored by AM Langmüller: A homing suppression gene drive with multiplexed gRNAs maintains high drive conversion efficiency and avoids functional resistance alleles.
- Congratulations to Lara Radovic (Wallner group), winner of the student competition (genetics) at the Equine Science Society Virtual Symposium!
- Scientific Advisory Board was organized online (May 17-20).
- Preprint just out: AM Langmüller et al.: Fitness effects of CRISPR endonucleases in Drosophila melanogaster populations.
- Congratulations to Emmanouil Lyrakis (Schlötterer group) on the highest exam grade for his PhD zoom defense "The physiological and genetic basis of reproductive dormancy in Drosophila fruit flies". We're happy to keep Manolis at the Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Platform.
- New preprint: Burny, Nolte, Dolezal and Schlötterer: Highly parallel genomic selection response in replicated Drosophila melanogaster populations with reduced genetic variation.
- New preprint: Wölfl, te Rietmole, Salvioli, Kaznatcheev, Thuijsman, Brown, Burgering and Staňková: The contribution of evolutionary game theory to understanding and treating cancer.
- Congratulations to Martin Pontz (Bürger group) on successfully defending his PhD thesis "Effects of epistasis in population genetic two-locus models" online.
- Congratulations to Rui Borges on his FWF grant "PoMo-cod: a polymorphism-aware phylogenetic codon model".
- Collaborative paper in Sci Rep by Fischer, Koblmüller, Börger, Michelitsch, Trajanoski, Schlötterer, Guelly, Thallinger, Sturmbauer: Genome sequences of Tropheus moorii and Petrochromis trewavasae, two eco-morphologically divergent cichlid fishes endemic to Lake Tanganyika.
- Collaborative paper in Nat Protoc by Bayle, Fiche, Burny, Platre, Nollmann, Martinière and Jaillais: Single-particle tracking photoactivated localization microscopy of membrane proteins in living plant tissues.
- Alumnus Thomas Taus was promoted to Teamleader - Reporting and Analysis at Porsche Informatik GmbH in Salzburg. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to our PhD candidate Anna Maria Langmüller, she received a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship for 2 years of postdoctoral research at Cornell University and 1 year back at Univ. of Vienna!
- New preprint: Langmüller, Dolezal and Schlötterer: Fine mapping without phenotyping: Identification of selection targets in secondary Evolve and Resequence experiments.
- New preprint: Lai, Nolte, Jakšić and Schlötterer: Evolution of phenotypic variance provides insights into the genetic basis of adaption.
- New preprint: Lai and Schlötterer: Evolution of gene expression variance during adaptation to high temperature in Drosophila.
- New preprint: Szukala et al.: Polygenic routes lead to parallel altitudinal adaptation in Heliosperma pusillum (Caryophyllaceae).