University entrance qualification examination
1. What does University entrance qualification examination mean?
Persons without a secondary school leaving certificate may obtain the right to attend a university as a regular student by taking a university entrance qualification examination. The legal basis for this can be found in Section 64a of the Universities Act 2002 and in the directive from the office of the rector on the university entrance qualification examination at the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna. (Publication of the directive from 1 June 2018)
The university entrance qualification examination provides limited admission to several closely related disciplines. It therefore only entitles the holder to admission to a select number of programmes at those Austrian universities where these disciplines are offered.
The University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna offers the possibility of acquiring the qualification to pursue medical and veterinary studies.
2. Admissions requirements
You may be admitted to the university entrance qualification examination by submitting a written application and if you:
- are 20 years of age or older
- can prove successful prior vocational or non-vocational educational experience for the intended programme that clearly goes beyond the fulfilment of general compulsory schooling (see point 3)
- hold citizenship of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, or
- are a recognised refugee under the Geneva Convention, or
- are a privileged third-country national who has been granted one of the following residence titles:
- long-term resident status (Daueraufenthalt – EG) issued by the competent Austrian authority
- long-term resident status (Daueraufenthalt – EG) issued by the competent authority in another EU member state and a residence permit for Austria
- permanent residence card (Daueraufenthaltskarte) issued by the competent Austrian authority
- are a Turkish national on the basis of the EEC–Turkey Association Agreement and:
- reside with your parents living in Austria and
- your parents are or were gainfully employed in Austria (proof: birth certificate; your residence registration form; your parents’ residence registration form; income tax statement, extract from the Association of Austrian Social Insurance Institutions or Austrian pension certificate from one parent).
Please complete your application for admission to the university entrance qualification examination (info box on the right) either typewritten or in legible handwriting. Application for admission to the university entrance qualification examination
The application form must be sent by post or delivered in person to the following address:
University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna
- proof of your citizenship, your identity and your date of birth by means of a notarised copy of your passport and, if applicable, the residence permit
- documentation of prior educational experience (vocational or non-vocational)
The prior educational experience must have been in a field related to medicine. Work or training in the social welfare/nursing sector (e.g. Samaritan association, emergency medical services, nursing, etc.) or training as a veterinary nurse are recognised. If none of these apply, we also accept a minimum of 6 weeks of voluntary work at a veterinary practice or a social welfare institution.
4. What happens next
If your application is approved, you will receive a notice indicating the examinations to be taken.
The compulsory examinations are not offered at the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna.
If you are taking the compulsory examinations at the University of Vienna, you must first enrol as a non-degree student at the University of Vienna at the next possible enrolment date (see www.univie.ac.at).
Courses and exams are also offered by non-university institutions (e.g. VHS, BFI).
For the completion of the elective subjects, please come to the Student Services of the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna with your official notice by the next possible enrolment date (see website of Vetmeduni) and enrol as a non-degree student.
The tuition fee for non-degree students currently amounts to €363.36.
You must bring the following with you to the enrolment:
- official photo ID (valid passport, driving licence, etc.)
- Austrian e-Card (if available)
- proof of citizenship (valid passport, citizenship certificate)
- notification of admission to the university entrance qualification examination
As with all other applicants, admission to a regular degree programme at our university is made through the competitive selection process. Every applicant must go through the selection procedure.